As we moved through the summer, that deficit remained at about $25 million. I can't speak for other people, CEOs. So those are the four pillars that rotate around the centerpiece, we call it the North Star, of our commitment to DEI. Current: How else might NPR assist stations in the coming year? You go to college and all the sudden you're like 'wait a minute, I've got to do something when this is over.' NPR hosts' departures fuel questions over race. The full story is John Lansing , CEO of NPR NPR President John Lansing '09 is Bellarmine's 2021 commencement speaker, Honorary Degree recipient April 22, 2021 NPR P. Were working with them to create regional newsrooms in Texas and California and the Midwest and in the Gulf. NPR will cut 10% of its workforce, CEO John Lansing said Wednesday. Last fall, when announcing the earlier cuts, Lansing said the network would have to make tough choices - and to "do less with less." Were finishing up in the next two to three weeks the specific lists of actions and activities under these pillars. We are not just putting out regulations or policies and paperwork. He guided the organization in becoming a leading developer of unique content across television, digital, mobile and radio platforms. (Former long time member). We had begun a lot of work under [Chief Diversity Officer] Keith Woods' leadership to really move us forward. John Lansing testifying before a House Appropriations subcommittee in July. NPR's John Lansing Discusses the Importance of Integrity in Journalism By Nicole Jones - October 30, 2020 0 463 NPR National President and CEO John Lansing joined the Belmont community for a conversation about integrity in journalism, highlighting its importance especially during an election year. CEO John Lansing discusses NPR's diversity efforts, budget - Current Its not something weve baked and were just going to hand it down. Current (https://current.org/2021/02/ceo-john-lansing-discusses-nprs-diversity-efforts-budget-deficit-and-growing-podcast-competition/). I was very pleased to see Code Switch named as Apples top podcast of the year. "Bloomberg Opinion" columnists offer their opinions on issues in the news. David Folkenflik on Twitter: "News: NPR to lay off about 10 percent of NPR Selects Voice of America Boss as Its New Leader, https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/06/business/media/npr-john-lansing.html. How has that effort been progressing? Lansing has won plaudits from journalists for his rousing defense of a free press even while serving in the Trump administration, which has been notably hostile to traditional notions of the role of journalism in civic life. He will now lead the nation's top audio producer and broadcaster. What would you go back and tell your younger self? Current: Did anything else stand out to you in that survey that you believe needed attention and needs attention? You hear me say fairly often it's not a thing that's going to end; it's really a new way of operating with an awareness of this weakness that we need to address and build upon and ensure that it lives on and continues to improve. Current: Last year, the SAG-AFTRA union called out NPRs previous failures on issues of diversity, equity and inclusion and asked management to commit to accountability measures. So its a constant commitment to communication, to training, to accountability. And it really opened the funnel. Leading the organization through it all is CEO John Lansing, a longtime media executive who has been on the job since October 2019. NPR's Michel Martin asks NPR's CEO, John Lansing, to respond to an All Things Considered interview with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. We can share resources and story ideas, and we can help organize and support those efforts. In a memo to. After becoming part of Warner Bros. For two years, he served as the president and CEO of a cable trade group called the Cable and Telecommunications Association for Marketing. The ratings for our weekend magazine shows are actually slightly greater than they were a year ago pre-pandemic, so thats a bright spot.. Video Snippet Its pretty clear to me that the ratings decline in radio is driven by commuting patterns. Under his leadership NPR has been reaching new audiences as the country's top podcast publisher and through platforms like smart-speakers and connected cars. How cool is it to be at. NPR Announces Layoffs In 'Major Loss' For Network I think as a white man, I know and have experienced that feeling of trepidation on discussions on issues of race, because there's an inherent fear that somebody is going to have a negative point of view about you. Under NPR's protocol for reporting on itself, no corporate official or news executive reviewed this story before it was posted publicly. No. "Your mobility becomes extremely important to be involved and connected to audiences that are mobile and that tend to be, frankly, younger and, as we think of it at USAGM, future leaders, who can influence the rise of free and open societies.". Selected by the NPR board of directors, Lansing will start in October, succeeding outgoing head Jarl Mohn, As President, he held strategic and operational oversight of Scripps Networks Digital division and Scripps Networks Interactive, which includes six cable networks: Food Network, HGTV, Travel Channel, DIY, Cooking Channel and Great American Country. Mr. Lansing rejected that accusation, saying that the agency was independent by law. Lansing also elevated to chief strategy officer a former U.S. State Department staffer who recently pleaded guilty to having defrauded the U.S. Agency for Global Media out of more than $40,000 in government money in 2018, according to federal prosecutors. Lansing previously held positions overseeing the Scripps Co.'s local television stations and then its national cable channels, which include the Food Network and HGTV, among others. You can't escape that. NPR's president of operations, Loren Mayor, was the leading internal candidate for the chief executive position. Or persons of color who are in our organization that are hearing [about] a lot of activity but arent experiencing what they believe they should be experiencing in terms of a workplace where they feel like they can grow and improve their work and improve their careers. Coming into public media, which I love, I noticed something that would be unusual in commercial media, in that there really wasnt a great investment in marketing podcasting to outside audiences off of our platforms. In 2019, Joshua Johnson left 1A, a nationally syndicated public affairs show produced by WAMU in Washington, D.C., and distributed by NPR, for MSNBC. Born and raised in Albany, New York, Lansing was trained as a lawyer, and was long involved in politics and government.During the American Revolution he was military secretary to General Philip Schuyler. And I was very proud of the progress we were making. Anyone can read what you share. NPR's New CEO Is Veteran Media Executive John Lansing : NPR - NPR.org NPR, the public radio and podcasting giant, has a new leader after years of growth and internal turmoil. We need help now. So we began an intensive set of Zoom meetings that I attended, each one with a member station and a qualified potential donor. Were consulting with digital media, were consulting with the division heads, and were doing it as an all-hands project so that we get it right. And now in our budgeting were shifting some revenue for Michael to use that to promote and support our podcasts as they compete, as you note, with other large commercial businesses. And weve seen some significant success with that. Now, he says, it must drum up more creative income sources, like the licensing of the popular show How I Built This to Amazon's streaming services, which he says generates $8 million annually. And for those stations that were scheduled to have a reduction, we allowed those reductions to go forward with a floor of 3% so that nobodys dues went up. Faces Of NPR showcases the people behind NPR--from the voices you hear every day on the radio to the ones who work outside of the recording studio. "When we say we are eliminating filled positions, we are talking about our colleagues - people whose skills, spirit and talents help make NPR what it is today," Lansing wrote in a memo to staff today. Networks like Voice of America and Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty are meant to counter disinformation from foreign governments by broadcasting objective reports, although they have always been dogged by an accusation that they are a form of American propaganda. Weve also seen very positive upticks in development. Fearing a tepid economy, Lansing and his corporate team projected that revenue would stay flat for the fiscal year that began October 1. Current: What are some of the highlights of that strategic plan? Were they targeted to specific spending areas or just for general costs? "I don't anticipate that it would be like a haircut across every division, because that's just not management," Lansing says. I just started in May. So sad to lose an American institution to propaganda. NPR has tapped longtime media executive John Lansing to become its next president and CEO. But also, what are the larger things that are happening? Last year, the network booked $134 million in such corporate underwriting, a record built on strong growth in podcasting revenue in recent years. I'm sure that's true even today. Lansing: When I came in in 2019, my earliest observation was that our biggest issue was the lack of diversity in our audience, and I felt that we needed to double down our efforts in DEI throughout our organization in order to fulfill the promise to reflect the entire American public in terms of what America looks like. So at the end of the day, its a commitment, but this also has to be accountability. "The combination of his health issues plus the situation with Mike Oreskes did derail his plans.". NPR strives to create a more informed publicone challenged and invigorated by a deeper understanding and appreciation of events, ideas, and cultures. I just think we have a special and unique thing as a company. I joined in October of '19. Lansing, who is 62, is currently the chief executive of the government agency that oversees Voice of America, Radio and Television Mart and Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, among others. Current. LANSING, John, Jr. | US House of Representatives: History, Art & Archives ", "It's always difficult in these situations, and I don't want to minimize the impact that it will have on our colleagues and in some cases, you know, our ability to do what we do," Lee says. Well, I'm fortunate that we have a terrific executive committee and leadership team, so we all share the daily ins and outs of managing a big organization. Weve seen significant growth in Code Switch, in Louder Than a Riot, in Sam Sanders podcast [Its Been a Minute], in part because for the first time in a while, were really investing in marketing support for those podcasts. And the fourth one is to diversify and grow our revenue models so that were not overly reliant on one or two revenue streams to help strengthen our future financials. It all goes back to our mission: serving the American public, recognizing the American public is a diverse mosaic that makes America great and strong, and making sure that we're building systems and content that resonates with all Americans. John F Lansing, National Public Radio Inc: Profile and Biography NPR CEO Defends Journalist After Pompeo Lashes Out Over Ukraine John Lansing will begin his term as President and CEO of NPR in October, 2019. Its new president and chief executive is John Lansing, a former cable executive who for the last five years has run the U.S. Agency for Global Media, the federally funded organization behind broadcasters like Voice of America and Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. We established the top priority [a.k.a. advanced degree - political agility. Live from. We couldnt be more proud of the quality and the depth of the journalism thats coming from the member stations, and it really has strengthened the entire system enormously. NPR's rigorous reporting and unsurpassed storytelling connect with millions of Americans everydayon the air, online, and in person. Current: Is there a timeline for that process? It's not just what happened this week on the Hill, although that's important. Did you plan for this or did it kind of just happen? The other is the fight for donors. 2017-2022. NPR's Incoming Chief Dumped $10M In Stock Amid SEC Probe While At Prior Mohn will continue on as President Emeritus & Co-Chair of the 50th Anniversary Campaign. What do you think are some characteristics of good leadership? National Public Radio (NPR) CEO John Lansing announced in a Wednesday memo that the network will lay off 10 percent of its staff and freeze vacant positions. The first pillar is to expand the power of the national-local partnership into the on-demand future. Scripps Company, Held senior management positions at Scripps-owned affiliates, including WEWS TV in Cleveland, Ohio and WXYZ TV in Detroit, Michigan, Early in his career Award-winning Photojournalist and Field Producer, Assignment Manager, Managing Editor, and News Director at several television stations. So if you have leaders talking about DEI as a priority, well, then, show me. Its not a sidebar. But second, we're mission-driven, and I think everybody in the organization lives and breathes that mission. He is credited with restoring morale, in part by naming a noted journalist as head of the Voice of America: Amanda Bennett is a former top news executive at the Philadelphia Inquirer who previously held senior newsroom jobs at Bloomberg News and The Wall Street Journal. Last year, President Trump appointed Michael Pack as USAGMs CEO. Learn more at npr.org/about or by following NPR Extra on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Courtesy of Allison Shelley for NPR. NPR's search for a new CEO is finally over! Pompeo Interview Dispute With NPR Sends Conflicting Message on - VOA It was about a $3 million cost to NPR for the fiscal year. Your email address will not be published. Copyright 2023. So Im pleased to see that that short era is over. CEO John Lansing discusses NPRs diversity efforts, budget deficit and growing podcast competition. John Gibbs (government official) - Wikipedia The work theyve done during the pandemic has been nothing short of miraculous in many cases, particularly given the summer of racial reckoning, the most unusual presidential election in memory and everything thats gone on since. The only route to a successful engagement on this issue is to deal with it, to talk about it, and to take action. So I wouldn't create a politics podcast because there are too many, and we have the best one of many already. NPR Names Juana Summers as Co-Host of 'All Things Considered' ", "I am thrilled to work with NPR's exceptional management team, staff and journalists," said Lansing. He has previously announced he would be staying on as president emeritus to help the network raise major gifts, and along with his wife, Pamela Mohn, he personally committed $10 million to the network. That was revised as a result. And I still think we have a long way to go. But we made a firm commitment, as you know, to freeze station dues and fees. As we got to April of last spring, we saw a massive deficit develop for NPR on the order of about $25 million. Lansing: When we look at our strategic plan and our commitment to growing our audience of the future, its clear to us that every corner of NPR has a digital on-demand initiative thats critical to our success and that it makes more sense to have the digital assets closer to the work thats influencing our audiences and growing our audiences. Current: NPRs budget also took a hit because of the pandemic. There are over 1000 NPR Member Station signals broadcasting across the United States Media Exec John Lansing to Become New CEO of NPR - Variety And the work goes on. In setting NPR's earlier rounds of budget cuts a couple months ago, Lansing consulted ahead of time with leaders of the unions representing workers at NPR with an eye to avoiding any layoffs. The emphasis, he says, must be on drawing in "the future audience to make NPR sustainable for the next 50 years. NPR Start Date: Mid October, 2020 After Lansing hopped over to NPR from USAGM in 2019, NPR had to be prompted by outside critics to include disclaimers on its USAGM/VOA stories to note Lansings past USAGM role.
Natural Disaster In Idaho 2020, Realtek Rtd1296 Vs Intel Celeron J4025, Articles J