Still, the bus is significantly cheaper than flying and depending on gas prices and whether or not you need to rent a car or book a hotel overnight, it's probably cheaper than driving too. I took a GPS with me to attach in the rental car. If youre traveling on slippery or snowy roads, use caution, slow down, and please, take it easy on the brakes. For a more complete guide on the hike, check out this Out There Colorado article. Truckers are required to have chains and passenger vehicles must have either snow tires, mud/snow tires, chains, or an alternative device like an autosock. This is a great introduction to Colorados famous fourteeners and provides extraordinary views thatll redefine what you classify as a scenic byway.. The route has an elevation gain of 9,000 ft and ascends through five climate zones to the 14,264-ft summit of Mount Evans. Well start our engines in Colorados capital city of Denver! We extended it to a full loop: Boulder Canyon Drive up to Nederland, Highway 72 from Nederland to Highway 7 just south of Rocky Mountain National Park, Highway 7 back over to Highway 36, and then back down to Boulder. Montrose and The Million Dollar Highway - ROAD TRIP USA Just be sure to downshift on the downhill side. So here I am in Pagosa Springs. Save this link to stay updated on COVID-19 restrictions, If you need help, visit the national COVID-19 website or call the COVID-19 Helpline 800-232-4636. From Sand Dunes, head west on US160 over Wolf Creek Pass to Pagosa. 13 Best Stops on the Denver to Las Vegas Drive - Divergent Travelers You know what? Click here to see their availability, Private Rental If its a private vacation rental that youre after in Durango, youll find that there are countless options to choose from. This is a no-brainer as a stop for skiers and snowboarders traveling in the winter, but the Wolf Creek area between South Fork and Durango is also worth keeping in mind as a stop for travelers even in mid-summer. Which route is the best? From South Fork and US 160, take a right-hand turn onto US 149, also known as the Silver Thread Scenic Byway, for an unforgettable scenic drive to the town of Creede near the headwaters of the Rio Grande. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Join our mailing list for discounts, special events, and more. Before heading out, visit cotrip.org for the latest road conditions and closures. Crested Butte is hands-down one of the coolest places to check out in Colorado. It stretches from Denver to Durango across the Southern Rockies and can be hiked in 25-35 days. Click here to browse other private rentals. This nationally-protected area consists of more than 30 square miles of massive dunes and is a must-stop for travelers nearing the latter portion of their Denver to Durango road trip. Travel along this high alpine road is strongly discouraged amid snow, freezing temperatures, and blowing snow. Be sure to take a peek at Denvers Tourism website for other ideas of things to do. Perhaps most amazing about this historic site is that the rock pinnacles for which Chimney Rock gets its name frame multiple astronomical alignment points. I-70 mountain travel has its hiccups due to a combination of factors including traffic congestion, steep grades, accidents, and wild weather causing slick roads and other hazards like that one time an avalanche covered the highway (video link). The Perfect 1, 2 or 3 Days in Montpellier Itinerary, The Perfect 1, 2 to 3 Days in Toulouse Itinerary, The Perfect 2 to 3 Days in Nice Itinerary, The Perfect 5 to 7 Days in Finland Itinerary (Winter or Summer). Click here to browse more Salida hotels! I'd judge the least "scary" of the three to be I-25/US160. Whichever option you choose, you find incredible scenery unlike anything else in Colorado. This is the route Google Maps will give you. This 17-mile historic loop takes you to several abandoned mines in-between beautiful scenic vistas. You might think about adding handicap information for some of the stops. Its a stop with good lodging options and plenty of services, and there are also two great options for wine and beer tasting, respectively, in Aspen Peak Cellars and Mad Jacks Mountain Brewery. The reason why it's so long is because there is no direct bus service between the two cities. As such, one of the best things to do in Creede is to drive its famous Bachelor Loop. Im traveling with a friend who has limited mobility. Now I am thinking of taking another route. A $15 Gratuity is included in all pricing above. He lives in Colorado and also works as a fly fishing guide and instructor when not editing or writing. Click here to browse other private rentals. See what its like to plow this dangerous road here. When winter weather strikes, motorists are often advised to avoid taking I-25 from Castle Rock to Colorado Springs, particularly in the Monument Hill area where harsh weather tends to hit the hardest. Just a stones throw off 285 South before you reach the town of Del Norte on the Denver to Durango drive, Penitente Canyon offers scenic views and chances to hike, rock climb, and bike through the towering canyon walls. Standard tickets are only $10 for adults, and this area also has a lot of great trails for hiking in the warmer parts of the year. This trail is close to town and extends to a decent length of 4.3 total miles long. to La Plata County Prices were available within the past 7 days and start at $195 for one-way flights and $295 for round trip, for the period specified. You can't get to Durango by train, but if you're looking for an old west experience, hop aboard the Silverton Silverlight Express. Takes you to nearly every major mountain zone in the state and the deepest canyons, highest passes, steepest mountains, and coolest towns. Its also important to watch out for mandatory chain and traction laws on I-70, especially during the winter months. Is this a summer trip or a winter trip? For instance, this beautiful treehouse home with a hot tub is a great choice. To get to Salida from Denver will be 2.5-hour drive. For us, one of the most fun things a first-time visitor can do is catch a show at Red Rocks Amphitheatre. Monument to fallen snowplow drivers. (easiest one, no scary mountain driving haha), and if you can suggest good places to stop and eat? What should I do if I have COVID-19 symptoms when I arrive in Durango? The picnic area is also nice for anyone who has packed food for the road trip in a cooler and might want to have lunch before getting back on the road. 5.5 hours of driving without stops. Traffic congestion due to rush hour and ongoing construction is normally expected for this particular stretch of the highway. Although its a small mountain town, its bursting at the seams with history, scenery, and adventure opportunities. It's actually closer to Albuquerque than Denver as it's not far from the New Mexico border. Theres not many other places where you can hike through desert-like dunes with snow-capped mountain peaks as your backdrop. The shorter one (US285 south and US160 west), more scenic, has more mountains. Where is Durango? In Del Norte, turn right onto US Hwy 160 W. Follow US Hwy 160 W for 118 miles. If you're looking to just get there as quickly as possible, it's much better to fly. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-75870199', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Denver to Durango so I hope you aren't planning to drive it on the same day you arrive. The Map Start: Denver to Manitou Springs/Colorado Springs While I-25. Cost of Driving from Denver, CO to Durango, CO - Travelmath Driving from Denver to Durango? - Colorado Forum - Tripadvisor Hiking, mountain biking, climbing, rafting, and off-roading are all staple activities here in our hometown. Avalanches often trigger temporary closures, leaving portions of the road buried under several feet of snow. Traffic on I-70. 16 Best Things to Do in Colorado in Summer, Travel From Madrid to San Sebastian by Train, Car, and Plane, How to Travel From Rome to Naples by Train, Plane, Bus, or Car, The Top 10 Things to Do in Durango, Colorado, How to Travel From Denver to Las Vegas by Bus, Car, and Plane, How to Travel From Montreal to Quebec City by Train, Bus, Car, and Plane, How to Travel from Los Angeles to the Grand Canyon by Train, Bus, Car, and Plane, The Best Places to See Fall Colors in Colorado, How to Travel from Los Angeles to Denver by Train, Bus, Car, and Plane, Get our travel tips Delivered to your inbox. Click here to see their availability, The Salida Inn & Hostel If youre traveling on a bit of a tighter budget, then this inn and hostel is an excellent choice. While skiers and riders will often go to great lengths to get to the mountains on a powder day, its important to drive carefully along this steep and winding alpine road. SIGN UP: Free daily newsletter + 20% off in the OTC gear shop, The 7 most dangerous winter roads in Colorado, 93 of those occurring within a 3-hour period, Denver commuter spends 83 hours per year stuck in traffic, Public access for two Colorado 14ers to close, after bill to protect landowners from liability dies, [VIDEO] Snowboarders spend over an hour in a tree to avoid angry moose in Colorado, $50,000 reward offered in search for suspect who robbed USPS letter carrier, Nathaniel Rateliff, Elle King among artists coming to Denver area in March, Skier Shiffrin locks up overall title, still chases win 86, US to focus bison restoration on expanding tribal herds. Getting to Purgatory Resort Colorado | Shuttles - Powderhounds Wearing a face mask on public transport in Durango is recommended. Drive from Denver to Durango 336.1 miles $60 - $90 Fly to Durango, shuttle 5h 22m Fly from Denver (DEN) to Durango (DRO) DEN - DRO Take a shuttle bus from Purgatory Plaza to Durango Transit Center $233 - $570 Fly to Telluride Regional, shuttle 6h 32m Fly from Denver (DEN) to Telluride Regional (TEX) DEN - TEX Camping, backpacking, and hiking opportunities abound in this area once the snow melts in the summertime. If you're planning a road trip to Denver, you can research locations to stop along the way. The alternate route out of Denver and straight down I-25 South is about 385 miles in total distance and will take drivers closer to six and a half hours. Main Avenue Historic District in Durango, Colorado is a 34acre historic district that was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1980. Well, thats it for this epic Colorado summer road trip. One snowstorm resulted in more than 300 crashes in the Denver metro area, with 93 of those occurring within a 3-hour period. The longer one (I-25 south, US160 west) involves faster driving and more traffic. Takes 6hrs plus stops and is both easy and scenic. Architectural structures left behind by the ancestral Puebloans include pit houses, great kivas, and great houses, according to the U.S. Forest Services website. Click here to browse other private rentals. A direct flight will only take about an hour in the air, which will save you a lot of time. If you'll have the time try to visit both Colorado Springs (Pike's Peak, Garden of the Gods etc.) While the quickest route between these two cities would take a fast driver 12 hours to complete without stopping, we suggest taking it slow and enjoying everything there is to see on the way. Cheap Flights from Denver Intl. If playing it safe during times of the year with bad weather is your goal, it might make sense to take the longer route down I-25 and on to US 160 at Walsenburg. All three cross Wolf Creek Pass on US160, which is truly scary only if your brakes fail on the way down. Plus, your guide will provide insightful interpretations on each of the archaeological sites as well as the history of the Ancestral Pueblo people. Were Michael and Maggie, an Australian and American couple travelling the world. Driving from Denver to Durango? - Colorado Forum - Tripadvisor Good coffee is also scarce along that route until you get to Durango. Family RV adventure advice for Colorado, Utah & Wyoming. Stops and things to do on Denver to Durango drive or road trip - Wanderlog Your trip begins in Denver, Colorado. A Google mapping exercise will offer you two routes, one about a half-hour longer than the other. The drive from Salida to Crested Butte takes approximately one hour and 45 minutes. Colorado Trail - Backpacking Routes . ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-75870199', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Denver to Durango so I hope you aren't planning to drive it on the same day you arrive. The quickest flight from Denver Airport to Durango Airport is the direct flight which takes 1h 19m. Another great activity to do near Denver is driving the, Of course, theres an endless list of things to do and places to see in and around Denver. ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-75869024', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Denver Airport and we are supposed to go to Durango by car. Having seen and read descriptions of the Million Dollar Highway, I'd like to avoid the drive south between Ouray and Silverton. drive for about 1 hour. I drive the 285>160 route almost weekly for the last few months. Make sure to keep a safe following distance between your car and one in front of you. The alternate route out of Denver and straight down I-25 South is about 385 miles in total distance and will take drivers closer to six and a half hours. This calculation assumes that your vehicle gets an average gas mileage of 25 mpg . If youre looking to stretch your legs and get a good hike in while in Creede, the locals recommend checking out the Up and Over trail. It may be a bit random and unexpected, but thats what makes Great Sand Dunes National Park so awesome! It is well located, there are a number of plush rooms available, and the breakfast included uses dairy products sourced from the propertys own goats! Brittany is an award-winning journalist based in Denver where she has lived and worked for more than a decade. Thank you :) You have two route options, both of which take you through amazing scenery and worthwhile stops. *Note: At time of writing (May 17th, 2021) there is a road closure along US-50 W between Sapinero and Montrose that is expected to last until Spring of 2022. It ends in Durango, Colorado. Driving from Denver to Durango? - Colorado Message Board - Tripadvisor Driving from Denver to Durango takes about six and a half hours. Colorado Scenic Byway: Tracks Across Borders | Colorado.com Apart from being the Wildflower Capital of Colorado, Crested Butte is where mountain biking got its start in Colorado. Not quite what youre looking for? $109 Cheap Flights from Denver to Durango - Orbitz If you have hopes of seeing both Denver and Durango on your trip to Colorado, you should keep in mind that the cities are 337 miles apart. Long, steep ascents and descents, particularly around the San Juans. Winter in Colorado is no joke. No problem finding gas and basic supplies, just not much "good" food or coffee. One absolute must-do activity is hiking the Ouray Perimeter Trail. Call us biased on this if you like, but heading down the Lower Animas is a Durango summer staple. Monarch Pass in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. Rome2rio makes travelling from Denver to Durango easy. The views of the Rocky Mountain landscape here are impressive at any time of the year, but this is an especially good stop if visiting during the winter when you can enjoy the contrast between the calming hot spring waters and the snowy peaks and surroundings. caudesucre.com Informacin detallada del sitio web y la empresa Utah. If youre planning an escape to Durango in southwestern Colorado, a road trip will lead you through some historic miningtowns, scenic overlooks worthy of a stop, and unique hot springs that youll definitely be able to smell as you make your approach. In Winter do I need a 4 Wheel Drive Vehicle in Colorado? Not much to recommend for food along the way. Heading back to Denver takes one last straight-shot drive of one hour and 20 minutes along I-25 N. Just 70 miles along that highway and youll be back in the city at journeys end! Loveland Pass Summit in Winter. Take a tour from Durango and let someone else drive! It is impossible to get from Denver to Durango -- at least in any reasonable way -- without some mountain driving. more. It is impossible to get from Denver to Durango -- at least in any reasonable way -- without some mountain driving. Informacin detallada del sitio web y la empresa: caudesucre.com Cau de sucre - blog de repostera creativa, recetas dulces y mucha fotografa! The distance between Denver and Durango is 372 km. $206 Cheap Flights from Denver (DEN) to Durango (DGO) Bundle Your Flight + Hotel & Save! If you are headed to the mountains on the weekend, plan ahead for more traffic than usual. Do I have to wear a face mask on public transport in Durango? Head out of town along US-160 E for 102 miles until you reach South Fork. But those in the know, slow down and stop in four . This is a lodging and day-use facility built around an odorless hot spring that bubbles up out of the ground at around 140 degrees Fahrenheit (60 degrees Celsius). Each flight takes about an hour, so this is definitely the fastest way to get from Denver to Durango. As far as rafting day trips go, it doesnt get much easier or more fun than this! Not much to recommend for food along the way. Error! You can also fly from Denver to Durango, if all this seems to be too much. But I need to leave here at midnight. You probably want to avoid going to Durango via 550 through Ouray and Silverton (Million Dollar Highway) which is an incredibly scenic, paved, state highway but also has extreme dropoffs without guardrails in places, and little to no shoulder in placesnot the best road for you. Well-located in central Durango, they have a range of rooms available to suit all kinds of visitors even allow pets if youre traveling with a four-legged friend! The winter-weary Northeast and upper Midwest were digging out Saturday from heavy snowfall while cleanup began in battered parts of the South and Midwest after a sprawling storm system produced . Running between Ouray and Silverton, the mountain road caps off at 11,018 feet with grades as steep as 8%. Powerhouse Science Center, formerly the The Durango Discovery Museum, is an interactive science center located in Durango, Colorado. Assuming you choose the route through the mountains on 285, youll still be on a paved highway for practically the entire timedepending on your chosen stopsso theres no major need for a high-clearance, 4-wheel drive sort of vehicle. This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. Dont let snowy roads put a damper on your adventure plans. From there you'll make a left onto CO 291 S which will take you into Salida after eight miles. Driving to Durango from Denver is a beautiful, six and a half hour drive. Wolf Creek Pass in CO: Beware of the wolf - Dangerousroads.org One of your first possible stops between Denver and Durango after youve merged onto US 285 South is the Tiny Town & Railroad thats just a short distance down South Turkey Creek Road. I-70 has some gorgeous spots and does top out at about 11,000 ft when you pass through the tunnels near Loveland Pass. Thai place in Poncha Springs and Lost Cajun in (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Select an option below to see step-by-step directions and to compare ticket prices and travel times in Rome2rio's travel planner. Theres so much we could say about things to do in Durango. Heavy snow slams Northeast; storm cleanup begins in South While the route offers a fast connection to Winter Park from Denver, avalanches and snowslides often make winter travel on this route extremely difficult. $195 Cheap Flights from Denver (DEN) to Durango (DRO) - Expedia Unless youre making this drive in the mid-summer months of June to August, its a good idea to travel with plenty of warm layers. This protected archaeological site of San Juan National Forest is best experienced by joining one of the daily guided walking tours offered by the U.S. Forest Service management staff. Driving from Denver to Durango? - Colorado Forum - Tripadvisor Colorado's Scenic Million Dollar Highway: Silverton to Ouray The train route links Silverton and Durango, and you can even book a seat in a private car. Then, head toward Ignacio on CO Hwy. No problem finding gas and basic supplies, just not much "good" food or coffee. Start early in the day, bring plenty of water and snacks, and be sure to dress in layers. briken - Denver to Durango is about 403 mi. The journey from Crested Butte to Ouray will take approximately 2.5 hours. Exceptions may apply, for full details: Centers for Disease control and prevention (CDC). Once you reach Creede, known as one of the last Silver Boom towns in Colorado during the late 19th century, you have quite a few options before heading back down to South Fork. There was an error processing your request. 10 Best Stops on the Denver to Aspen Drive via Vail. Silverton is an old mining town nestled between Red Mountain and Molas, two San Juan Mountain passes. 2:05 pm Pagosa Springs (Colorado) stay for about 1 hour. From Tiny Town, the next few stops between Conifer and Buena Vista also tend to be good ones for travelers and looking to take their time, relax, and settle into vacation mode while on the way out of the Denver bubble. (easiest one, no scary mountain driving haha), and if you can suggest good places to stop and eat? ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-75869024', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Denver Airport and we are supposed to go to Durango by car. But it didn/t work. American Airlines also offers flights to Durango, but they require you to first stop in Phoenix, which means it will take at least 4 hours to arrive. Which route is the best? Top Reasons To Take A Jeep Tour In SW Colorado. This loop of state-maintained highways through the San Juan Mountains can be done in your own car and at your own leisure, but be aware that various parts of this beautiful, scenic drive do feature steep drop-offs without guardrails. We tackled this whole itinerary in 3 nights but you would be better served to spend at least double that amount of time. And if budget is a factor in your trip planning and you're looking for the cheapest way to travel, you could take a Greyhound bus to Durango. Additional terms apply. After passing the Antero Junction, Mount Princeton Hot Springs is a short detour west down Chalk Creek Drive from Nathrop and Browns Canyon National Monument just as your drive has started to meet with the Arkansas River. Stroll the shops, restaurants and hotels housed in Durango's preserved late-19th-century buildings and board the railroad for a super-scenic, 45-mile detour to Silverton. Anyone driven from Denver to Aspen? | Timeshare Users Group Discussion Having a wonderful time here. Cheap Flights from Denver to Durango from $195 | (DEN - Kayak By Jeremy P. Meyer | jpmeyer@denverpost.com | The Denver Post. Thank you. Drop-dead gorgeous and nestled into the heart of the San Juan mountains, visiting Ouray 100% feels like youre being transported to Switzerland. Not much to recommend for food along the way. That said, if you do hike Mount Princeston, still come prepared for a long days hike as well as a little rock scrambling. The highway is also notorious for serious semi-accidents and spin-outs due to its steep curvy descent. Two-wheel drive cars can certainly make this gravel-road route, but its recommended to drive the loop backwards if your vehicle isnt great off-road. The Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad (D&SNG) is a narrow-gauge heritage railroad that operates 45.2mi of track between Durango and Silverton, in the U.S. state of Colorado. From hiking to climbing to jeep and segway tours, theres a whole heaping lot to do at this picture-perfect place. If you intend to make all (or even a few) of these stops, youre likely going to want to find a place to stay to break up the drive. There are lots of unique little shops and restaurants in town, and attractions like the Last Chance Mine offer a glimpse of history for those who are interested. Not much to recommend for food along the way. Airfares from $109 One Way, $219 Round Trip from Denver to Durango. You can also go to Colorado Springs and Canon City and Salida then 285 to 160. Snowcaped mountains in Berthoud Pass, Colorado. Denver to Durango - Colorado Forum - Tripadvisor
If Automakers Attempted To Change The Way Justin Feels, Articles L