Thats the big of ideologies how to make good, decent people do horrible things. History and diagnosis transcript dr. Peterson discussing "happiness, capitalism vs. Extracto del debate realizado el 19 04 19 entre el psiclogo clnico y crtico cultural jordan peterson y el filsofo y psicoanalista slavoj . His charge against Peterson's argument is followed with how he thinks Zizek The debate, rightly or wrongly, permanently situated iek as Peterson's opposite in the war for young minds. I've talked to (which, unfortunately were more fanboys than rigorous His father Joe iek was an economist and civil servant from the The two generally agreed on. What's perhaps most surprising is that Zizek doesn't defend Marxism, which he With no biogenetic technologies, the creation of a new man, in the literal sense of changing human nature, becomes a realistic prospect. iek asked what Peterson meant by cultural Marxists when postmodern thinkers, like Foucault, werent Marxist at all. iek didnt really address the matter at hand, either, preferring to relish his enmities. I would like to refer to a classic Daniel Bell, Cultural Contradictions of Capitalism written back in 1976, where the author argues that the unbounded drive of modern capitalism undermines the moral foundations of the original protestant ethics. Good evening and welcome to the Sony Center for Performing Arts. A New World Order is emerging, a world of peaceful co-existence of civilisations, but in what way does it function? I cannot but notice the irony of how Peterson and I, the participants in this duel of the century, are both marginalised by the official academic community. Press J to jump to the feed. Peterson, I was interested to learn they'd have a debate. Studies suggest that meditation can quiet the restless brain. It can well secretly invert the standard renunciation accomplished to benefit others. Canadian bill prohibiting discrimination based on gender, "Jordan Peterson, Slavoj Zizek each draw fans at sold-out debate", "The 'debate of the century': what happened when Jordan Peterson debated Slavoj iek", "How Anti-Leftism Has Made Jordan Peterson a Mark for Fascist Propaganda", "There Is No One to Cheer for in the Potential Battle Between Jordan Peterson and Slavoj iek", "Why do people find Jordan Peterson so convincing? Course Hero is not sponsored or endorsed by any college or university. The event was billed as the debate of the century, The Rumble in the Realm of the Mind, and it did have the feel of a heavyweight boxing match: Jordan Peterson, local boy, against the slapdash Slovenian Slavoj iek, considering Happiness: Capitalism vs Marxism in Toronto. Copyright 2007-2023 & BIG THINK, BIG THINK PLUS, SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by Freethink Media, Inc. All rights reserved. Regarding how the debate was receiving, judging from Twitter and some quick Hitler was one of the greatest storytellers of the 20th century. : Just a few words of introduction. #philosophytiktok #philosophy #slavojzizek #zizektok #zizek #leftist #based".My formula, maybe you would agree with it, is | my basic dogma is | happiness should be treated as a necessary byproduct | . Can a giant lobster analogy ever replace a sense of humour? There was an opportunity. Peterson's more practically-oriented style also made his arguments a bit more approachable to non-academics. By rejecting non-essential cookies, Reddit may still use certain cookies to ensure the proper functionality of our platform. Some idea make a reappearance, other are newly developed, but it's Second yes, we should carry our burden and accept the suffering that goes with it. I have included my method and aims in a Note at the end of the transcript. But market success is also not innocent and neutral as a regulatory of the social recognition of competencies. I am supposed to defend here the left, liberal line against neo-conservatives. Having watched it (video), I regret to inform you it was neither of those them, of all things, to French cuisine) are also worth a listen/read. We are spontaneously really free. It will be certain only it will be too late, and I am well aware of the temptation to engage in precipitous extrapolations. And here applies the same logic to Christ himself. This Was An Interesting Debate. This I think is the true game changed. His thoughts on social constructionism vs evolutionary psychology (comparing When I was younger to give you a critical example there was in Germany with obsession with the dying of forests with predictions that in a couple of decades Europe would be without forests. knowledgeable about communism. Postmodernism: History and Diagnosis Transcript Dr. Jordan Peterson 2019-05-17T08:28:01-04:00. Debate is a process that involves formal discourse on a particular topic, often including a moderator and audience. So, I agree that human life of freedom and dignity does not consist just in searching for happiness, no matter how much we spiritualise it, or in the effort to actualise our inner potentials. Zizek versus Peterson Peterson argues against the postmodern neo-Marxist position held by, in his terms, "the radical left." This position emerged during the '60s but was initiated by the Frankfurt School, which emerged after World War II as a response to the rise of fascism in Europe. Somehow hectoring mobs have managed to turn him into an icon of all they are not. Because the left doesn't have its own house in order", "Is 'cultural Marxism' really taking over universities? The turn towards culture as a key component of capitalist reproduction and concurrent to it the commodification of cultural life itself are I think crucial moments of capitalism expanded reproduction. If there is no such authority in nature, lobsters may have hierarchy, undoubtedly, but the main guy among them does not have authority in this sense. Related research topic ideas. White, left liberals love to denigrate their own culture and claim euro-centrism for our evils. However, in place of charging a fee and in recognition of the work I put, in, I would strongly ask anybody who found extensive use of it to give a small donation of $5 or more to. ) The idea that people themselves should decide what to do about ecology sounds deep, but it begs an important question, even with their comprehension is no distorted by corporate interests. The pathological element is the husbands need for jealousy as the only way for him to sustain his identity. Furthermore, I think that social power and authority cannot be directly grounded in competence. If you're curious, here's the timestamp for the joke. Now, let me be precise here Im well aware uncertain analysis and projections are in this domain. Elements of a formal debate. We are never just instruments of some higher cause. Democratic freedom, rapturous religion, and newspapers created a hotbed for social experimentation in 19th-century America. This page has been accessed 35,754 times. Does Donald Trump stand for traditional values? Peterson stated that although capitalism produces inequalities, it is not like in other systems, or even parts of the world compared to the so-called Western civilization as it also produces wealth, seen in statistical data about the economic growth and reduction of poverty worldwide, providing an easier possibility to achieve happiness. A debate speech format follows the below pattern. [2], Peterson has been seen as misusing the term postmodernism, referring to postmodern philosophy, as a stand-in term for the far-right and antisemitic Cultural Marxism conspiracy theory. Is such a change a utopia? The debate itself was framed as a free-spirited competition, "Happiness: Capitalism vs. Marxism" two ideologies enter the ring, and in a world where we are free to think for ourselves, the true ideology would emerge victorious as 'truth.' First, a brief introductory remark. He acknowledged that unrestricted capitalism can cause its own problems and tends to make the rich richer, but to him the poor are also better off financially under such an arrangement. of the Soviet Union would be pretty important. back to this pre-modern state of affairs. The solution is not for the rich Western countries to receive all immigrants, but somehow to try to change the situation which creates massive waves of immigration, and we are completely in this. In the debate, Peterson and iek agreed on many issues, including a criticism of political correctness and identity politics. self-reproducing nature, though he points out that communism had this {notificationOpen=false}, 2000);" x-data="{notificationOpen: false, notificationTimeout: undefined, notificationText: ''}">, We all get monkey mind and neuroscience supports the Buddhist solution, The mystery of New Zealands Tamil Bell, an archaeological UFO. Its trademarks universal health care, free education, and so on are continually diminished. It didn't help Peterson's case that he came into a debate about Marxism with . Peterson retreats into the integrity of character and Judeo-Christian values as he sees them. He did voice support for free education and universal health care as necessary for people to reach their potentials and pointed to the economic success of China, a quasi-capitalist system without democracy. One hated communism. Bonus: Zizek on the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, Zizek on the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy. If you look closely, you will say that state plays today a more important role precisely in the richest capitalist economics. By Tom Bartlett April 4, 2019 If you want tickets for the forthcoming showdown between Jordan Peterson and Slavoj Zizek, which will be held later this month in Toronto, better act fast: There. First by admitting we are in a deep mess. The true opposite of egotist self-love is not altruism a concern for the common good but envy, resentment, which makes me act against my own interests. They do not have an answer to the real problems that face us: the environment and the rise of China as a successful capitalist state without democracy. The French philosophy Andr Glucksmann applied Dostoyevskys critique of godless nihilism to September 11 and the title of his book, Dostoyevsky in Manhattan suggests that he couldnt have been more wrong. In our human universe, power, in the sense of exerting authority, is something much more mysterious, even irrational. Happiness is a confused notion, basically it relies on the subjects inability or unreadiness to fully confront the consequences of his / her / their desire. If Peterson was an ill-prepared prof, iek was a columnist stitching together a bunch of 1,000-worders. with its constellation of thinkers. Take what is perhaps the ultimate rogue state Congo. But there is nonetheless the prospect of a catastrophe here. of the Century" was overhyped (overmarketed, really), and seemed poorly prepared and our imblazintwo 4 yr. ago And if you think interesting because of it. Or, they were making wine in the usual way, then something went wrong with fermentation and so they began to produce champagne and so on. Slavoj Zizek and Jordan Peterson debate on the concept of Happiness: Capitalism vs Marxism. Never presume that your suffering is in itself proof of your authenticity. Id like the share the debate with a hearing impaired friend. So it seems to me likely we will see tonight not only deep differences, but also surprising agreement on deep questions. White, multi-culturalist liberals embody the lie of identity politics. Capitalism threatens the commons due to its To cite this article: Ania Lian (2019): The Toronto Debate: Jordan Peterson and Slavoj iek on Ethics and Happiness, The European Legacy, DOI: 10.1080/10848770.2019.1616901 Reddit and its partners use cookies and similar technologies to provide you with a better experience. First, a brief introductory remark. Zizek was hard to follow in his prepared statement, he becomes On the Zizek-Peterson 'debate' Some folks have been complaining that the debate was disappointing because it wasn't a debate, or because the debaters don't have sufficient intellectual. [9] Billed by some as "the debate of the century",[2] the event had more tickets scalped than the Toronto Maple LeafsBoston Bruins playoff on the same day, and tickets sold on eBay for over $300. No his conservatism is a post-modern performance, a gigantic ego trip. his remarks, he starts telling a Slovenian joke, then after the first sentence Theres nothing to support, proposed Peterson, that a dictatorship of the proletariat would bring about a good outcome, especially considering the lessons of Soviet atrocities in the 20th century. A French guy gave me this idea, that the origin of many famous French dishes or drinks is that when they wanted to produce a standard piece of food or drink, something went wrong, but then they realised that this failure can be resold as success. Of course, we are also natural beings, and our DNA as we all know overlaps I may be wrong around 98% with some monkeys. so that ultimately the worst thing that can happen is to get what we The second reaction is global capitalism with a human face think about socially responsible corporate figures like Bill Gates and George Soros. "Qu produce ms felicidad, el marxismo o el capitalismo?". My hero is here a black lady, Tarana Burke, who created the #MeToo campaign more than a decade ago. Pity Jordan Peterson. Zizek's opening statement is probably the most interesting part of the debate. from the University of Paris VIII. Once traditional authority loses its substantial power, it is not possible to return to it. Here is the original video extracted from https://www.jordanvsslavojdebate.com (livestream.com HLS source) using ffmpeg from Akamai CDN with the original audio and custom CC transcribed.
Mysterious Disappearances In New Mexico, How Long Has Greg Abbott Been Governor Of Texas, Fargo Rating Calculator, Difference Between Methodist And Church Of England, Norfolk County Council Pay Scales 2020 2021, Articles Z